Somewhere between 5th Grade and Graduate School, I learned to hate math. It was most likely around 6th grade when we started to delve into the world of decimals, fractions and the proper order of operations. Up until that point, I loved math — loved learning my “times tables” and answering word problems that often involved sharing bubblegum and donuts. But then math got hard, and I got confused and my love of numbers soon morphed into disdain and anxiety, “I’m not good at math,” soon became my mantra.
I look back at my 11-year old self and wish I hadn’t given up on math so readily. There is a certain elegance to math that I overlooked. Math makes sense. Every problem has a definitive answer. It’s so different than so much of life where we deal with shades of grey and uncertainty.
Math is certain. For every problem there is a solution.
The folks at Mathnasium understand my plight and they want to empower kids to love math in grade school and beyond. They understand that any child can be successful in math—it’s a matter of teaching it in a way that makes sense to them. Mathnasium is dedicated to making math make sense and helping instill a love of learning in its students!
I recently was invited to work with Mathnasium, to help spread the word about their programs and offerings. At first I wasn’t sure if the center would gel with my educational philosophy. What if it’s just a tutoring center filled with drill and kill activities? However from the moment I walked in the door, I knew Mathnasium as different. They are not looking to just get your kids to do their homework, they are dedicated to helping your kids develop an understanding of math, and create a love of the often maligned subject! Mathnasium promotes the idea that math is cool and empowers kids to thrive. Here are a few more details to help you get the full picture…
- Mathnasium is a math-only learning center with 44 locations in the Chicagoland region.
- Mathnasium helps your child overcome homework frustration by building confidence in a fun and rewarding environment.
- Mathnasium is also awesome for kids who already like math but need more of a challenge or for kids who need a little extra help learning the subject.
- Mathnasium’s experienced math tutors use a proprietary teaching materials and techniques,The Mathnasium Method™, to deliver a customized learning plan designed to address each student’s needs.
- Mathnaisum specializes in three core programs:
Elementary school math program, Middle school math program and High school math program
- Mathnasium also offers non-traditional activities and experiences for their members and the community at large. For example, the Naperville location recently hosted a game night where the instructors created a room escape challenge for their students (find clues and solve math puzzles to help them “escape” in time.) And just last weekend, 14 Chicago-area locations took part in Mathnasmium’s annual TriMathalon ~ A nationwide event where kids compete in a fun and friendly environment while raising money for local schools!
This week, I am hosting a luncheon at one of Mathnasmium’s Naperville locations! I am looking forward to seeing my bloggy friends as we eat lunch, talk math and play math games. Stay tuned for more updates throughout this week and beyond.
This is the year I finally stop being afraid of math, after all if the Cubs can win the World Series, anything is possible.
To learn more about Mathnasium and find the location nearest you, click on this link! or call 877.601.MATH (6284)